Theater Preservation Guidance
The following are links to a variety of documents and websites will assist you with the restoration and preservation of your historic theater.
History, Maintenance and Preservation
- Cinema Tour. The mission of CinemaTour is to thoroughly research and document the locations and histories of cinemas throughout the world. This information will be shared via the internet as an educational resource for anyone interested in what makes going to the movies special.
- League of Historic American Theaters. Founded in 1976, the League of Historic American Theatres (LHAT) is an international not-for-profit membership association. LHAT is a network of people who appreciate the cultural and architectural heritage of historic theatres and who work locally and nationally to rehabilitate them to serve communities throughout North America and abroad. Members of the League collaborate with one another, share their expertise and provide inspiration, information and a broad perspective to those working in the field of historic preservation. The also created the Historic Theater Resue, Rehbilitation and Adaptive Reuse Manual, which is a great guide for theater owners.
- Cinema Treasures. Cinema Treasures is a groundbreaking website devoted to movie theater preservation and awareness. Utilizing the community-building capabilities of the Internet, Cinema Treasures unites movie theater owners and enthusiasts in a common cause—to save the last remaining movie palaces across the country.
- American Film Institute
- Historic Theater Statewide Survey & Physical Needs Assessment
- Flicker Historic Theaters