CLG Document Templates
True protection of historic resources takes place at the local level of government. One of the key components to all Certified Local Governments is the Historic Preservation Ordinance. An ordinance spells out exactly what the local preservation program entails. A local ordinance should establish a historic preservation commission; a local register of historic places; a mechanism for the design review of locally listed properties; as well as any incentives for historic property owners such as Special Tax Valuation. The Bylaws of the Historic Preservation Commission establish the rules that will be followed during meetings as well as the criteria for listing properties to the local register and design review. Templates of these documents are available below.
The purpose of design review is to protect the character of locally listed properties and to ensure that new development, or changes to existing properties, are compatible with the surrounding neighborhood. The design review process considers a wide range of design issues. These may include such things as building scale and massing, architectural history and details, signs and advertising features, building materials, and in some cases even paint color. Each local government decides the breadth and scope of its design guidelines.
Ordinance & Bylaws Templates:
The following documents are meant to help you get started. One ordinance may not fit all communities and we enourage you to use these as a starting point. Also, see this very helpful document from the California SHPO Drafting Effective Historic Preservation Ordinances.
- Historic Preservation Ordinance Template
- Sample Conservation District Ordinance Provisions
- Demolition by Neglect Ordinance for Jonesborough, TN
- Bylaws Template
Design Review Examples:
- Design Guidelines for Oysterville, Washington
- Design Guidelines for Grandview Neighborhood, Wenatchee
- Design Guidelines for Steilacoom
- Design Guidelines for Corbin Park Neighborhood, Spokane
- Design Guidelines for Ebey's Landing National Reserve
- Design Guidelines for City of Rosyln
- Design Guidelines for Downtown Dayton
- Design Guidelines for City of Snohomish
- Design Guidelines for Downtown Laramine, WY
- Design Guidelines for Downtown Wabash, IN
- Design Guidelines for Downtown Anderson, SC
- Design Guidelines for Downtown Jefferson, WI
- Design Guidelines for New Orleans, LA
- Design Guidelines for Ashland, OR