URM Symposium - Webinar Series Beginning November 2020
Regretfully, we had to cancel our in-person event originally scheduled for May 2020. However, we are pleased to announce that the symposium will continue as a series of webinars beginning in November 2020.
DAHP and APT Northwest are co-hosting this now virtual series. Our intent is to be able to deliver the same content as originally planned. See below for draft topics. Full information about topics, speaker, and registration information to follow. AIA credits will be offered.
- Disaster Planning. Learn about what the City of Seattle, City of Portland, and other government agencies are doing to prepare the general population for the next big one with proactive outreach and community input.
- Equity and Inclusion in URMs and Historic Neighborhoods (Panel Discussion). Learn about avoiding unintended consequences of seismic retrofit projects and their impacts on residential and business tenants, neighborhoods, and community.
- Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and Preservation Brief 41. Hear those who contributed to the publication of a leading document regarding preservation-minded approaches to seismic retrofit of historic buildings.
- Unreinforced Masonry (URM) Construction, Assessment, Restoration. Focus on rationale and methodology for condition assessment and the repair and restoration of historic unreinforced masonry buildings incluidng specific short-term and long-term maintenance goals.
- Seismic Upgrade Basics – Perspectives from structural engineer and a preservation architect. Learn from experienced practitioners about the challenges and successes of retrofitting historic buildings from a holistic design approach.
- Working with the Standards – Case Studies. Learn from experienced practitioners about specific case studies of varying complexity, including use, scale, and seismic vulnerabilities.
- Developing New Incentive Programs (Presentation + Panel Discussion). Learn about innovative approaches for how to finance seismic retrofit projects beyond conventional financing and tax credits.
Sponsors and Partners