Find Heritage Organizations
A lot of organizations do great work in preserving and sharing Washington’s past. If you would like to add your organization, contact the webmaster.
Non Profit Organizations
- Washington Trust for Historic Preservation The Washington Trust for Historic Preservation is a statewide, non profit organization founded in 1976 to safeguard Washington's historic places through advocacy, education, stewardship and collaboration.
- Architectural Heritage Center The Architectural Heritage Center, operated by the Bosco-Milligan Foundation, presents a variety of tours, hands-on training workshops, and innovative exhibits on building heritage.
- Society of Architectural Historians - Marion Dean Ross Chapter The Marion Dean Ross/Pacific Northwest Chapter is an affiliated regional chapter of the international Society of Architectural Historians, whose home office is in Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- History Link HistoryLink.org is an evolving online encyclopedia of state and local history in Washington state. The organization provides a free, authoritative, and easily accessible history reference for the benefit of students, teachers, journalists, scholars, researchers, and the general public. The encyclopedia contains more than 4,000 essays as of 2006. It is constantly expanding, with new essays added every week.
- Vernacular Architecture Forum Scholars and field professionals now apply the term "vernacular architecture" to traditional domestic and agricultural buildings, industrial and commercial structures, twentieth-century suburban houses, settlement patterns and cultural landscapes. The Vernacular Architecture Forum was formed in 1980 to encourage the study and preservation of these informative and valuable material resources.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation The National Trust for Historic Preservation has worked for more than half a century to save the historic buildings, neighborhoods, and landscapes that form our communities and enrich our lives. The also have an informative on-line newsletter that provides national news related to preservation issues.
- American Association of Museums The American Association of Museums has been bringing museums together since 1906, helping to develop standards and best practices, gathering and sharing knowledge, and providing advocacy on issues of concern to the entire museum community. We are dedicated to ensuring that museums remain a vital part of the American landscape, connecting people with the greatest achievements of the human experience, past, present and future.
- Orgeon-California Trails Foundation The Oregon-California Trails Association, founded in 1982, is a not-for-profit organization, headquartered in Independence, Missouri, dedicated to education about,preservation and enjoyment of the trans-Mississippi emigrant trails.
- Historic Seattle Founded in 1974, Historic Seattle is the only nonprofit membership organization dedicated to the preservation of Seattle and King County's architectural legacy. As both a public development authority and charitable foundation, Historic Seattle is a major advocate for, and participant in, the thoughtful and meaningful preservation and rehabilitation of historic buildings, landscapes, and architectural artifacts.
- Spokane Preservation Advocates Spokane Preservation Advocates is an organization dedicated to providing an opportunity for anyone in Spokane County to take an active role in historic preservation advocacy and activities. This is accomplished by networking with existing preservation organizations and working to fill Spokane's preservation "missing links" to preserve Spokane's historic buildings, landscapes, and character.
- Historic Tacoma Non-Profit organization dedicated to preserving Tacoma's architectural legacy through education and advocacy. Our goals are to: Enhance Tacoma's built environment -- Preserve Tacoma's architectural heritage -- Educate and inform the community -- Conserve sustainable resources
- The Heritage Network The Heritage Network is dedicated to preserving and promoting the historical resources within its membership and their representative communities in Northeast Washington State.
- 4 Culture 4Culture is King County's cultural services agency established to continue the work of the King County Arts Commission, Public Art Commission and the heritage programs of the Landmarks Commission.
- Women's History Consortium The Women's History Consortium, created by state statute (RCW 27.34.360) in 2005 as a Washington State Historical Society-led initiative, is dedicated to preserving and making available resources about Washington women's history.
- Historic Everett Non-Profit organization dedicated to preserving the City of Everett through advocacy, education, and preservation. To engage in the preservation and rehabilitation of historic buildings, landscapes, architectural artifacts, and other cultural items that reflect the heritage of Everett, in addition to offering comprehensive preservation programming in order to educate our membership and our community.
- Save Outdoor Sculpture Save Outdoor Sculpture! (SOS!) is a program committed to the preservation and celebration of America's outdoor sculptures. SOS! works to generate appreciation, enthusiasm, and a sense of ownership for America's largest collection of art and to promote outdoor sculpture as an education resource.
- Historic Ellensburg Historic Ellensburg is a group of individuals dedicated to protecting the irreplacable heritage of Ellensburg and the Kittitas Valley. We believe that safeguarding our historic buildings and neighborhoods is essential to maintaining our quality of life - that such places reflect our collective identity, teach our children, and enrich our community. Through advocacy, education and collaboration, Historic Ellensburg promotes progress through historic preservation.
- Institute of Classical Architecture & Art The ICAA is the leading national nonprofit organization advancing the practice and appreciation of the classical tradition in architecture, urbanism and the allied arts, fulfilling this mission with education, publications, awards, and advocacy.
- Construction History Society of America The Construction History Society of America (CHSA) is dedicated to the study of the history and evolution of all aspects of the built environment—its creation, maintenance and management. It is a forum for scholars and professionals in the field to share, meet and exchange ideas and research.
- DOCOMOMO-WeWa DOCOMOMO-WeWa is an organization dedicated to the study of significant works of Modern Movement architecture, landscape design and urban planning in Western Washington.
- DOCOMOMO - US DOCOMOMO - US is an international organization dedicated to the study of significant works of Modern Movement architecture, landscape design and urban planning in the U.S.
- Mission 66 This site is dedicated to the Mid Century Modern Architecture in the National Parks and the Mission 66 Program.
- Recent Past Preservation Network The Recent Past Preservation Network is dedicated to promote the preservation of buildings from the recent past and help others who are trying to do the same. The goal of the network is to educate and inform the public and politicians about the value of structures from the mid century and beyond.
- Arcade Journal ARCADE is a magazine for the contemporary Northwest design community, who's mission is to provide an independent voice for civic discussion, and a platform to explore and promote quality design in the built environment. They often deal with issues of preserving the recent past.
- Society for Commercial Archaeology The SCA is a national organization devoted to the buildings, artifacts, structures, signs, and symbols of the 20th-century commercial landscape.
- Roadside Peek A web site dedicated to traveling on the old highway system, with dedicated a section on the Northwest.
- League of Historic American Theaters Founded in 1976, the League of Historic American Theatres (LHAT) is a network of people who appreciate the cultural and architectural heritage of historic theatres and who work locally and nationally to rehabilitate them to serve communities throughout North America and abroad.
- Cinema Tour The mission of Cinema Tour is to thoroughly research and document the locations and histories of cinemas throughout the world. This information will be shared via the internet as an educational resource for anyone interested in what makes going to the movies special.
- Drive-ins.com The definitive on-line resource for Drive-in Movie theaters from across the US.
- National Association of Tribal Historic Preservation Officers Founded in 1998, the Association is a national non-profit membership organization of Tribal government officials who implement federal and tribal preservation laws. NATHPO's overarching purpose is to support the preservation, maintenance and revitalization of the cutlure and traditions of Native peoples of the United States.
- Association for Washington Archaeology Founded in 1981, AWA is a non-profit organization committed to the protection of archaeological and historical resources in the State of Washington. Our membership consists mainly of professional archaeologists, although it is open to anyone with an interest in learning about and protecting the past.
- Society for American Archaeology The mission of the Society for American Archaeology is to expand understanding and appreciation of humanity's past as achieved through systematic investigation of the archaeological record. The society leads the archaeological community by promoting research, stewardship of archaeological resources, public and professional education, and the dissemination of knowledge.
- Society for Applied Anthropology The Society for Applied Anthropology aspires to promote the integration of anthropological perspectives and methods in solving human problems throughout the world; to advocate for fair and just public policy based upon sound research; to promote public recognition of anthropology as a profession; and to support the continuing professionalization of the field.
- The Society for Historical Archaeology Organization dedicated to Historical archaeolog, the study of the material remains of past societies that also left behind some other form of historical evidence.
- The Burke Museum For more than 100 years the Burke Museum has been charged with preserving, interpreting, and fostering stewardship of Washington State's natural history and culture.
- American Cultural Resources Association Our mission is to promote the professional, ethical and business practices of the cultural resources industry, including all of its affiliated disciplines, for the benefit of the resources, and the public.
- Register of Professional Archaeologist The Register of Professional Archaeologists is a listing of archaeologists who have agreed to abide by an explicit code of conduct and standards of research performance, who hold a graduate degree in archaeology, anthropology, art history, classics, history, or another germane discipline and who have substantial practical experience. Registration is a voluntary act that recognizes an individual's personal responsibility to be held accountable for their professional behavior.
- Governor's Office of Indian Affairs The Governor's Office of Indian Affairs serves as the liaison between state and tribal governments in an advisory, resource, consultation, and educational capacity.
Government Programs / Agencies
- Access Washington Washington State's Official portal to various state offices and agencies.
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation The mission of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is to promote the preservation, enhancement, and productive use of our Nation's historic resources, and advise the President and Congress on national historic preservation policy.
- HABS/HAER/HALS The Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record/Historic American Landscape Survey (HABS/HAER/HALS) is a program that documents important architectural, engineering industrial and Landscapes sites throughout the United States and its territories.
- Administrative Rule Petition In accordance with RCW 34.05.330, the Office of Financial Management (OFM) created a form for individuals or groups who wish to petition a state agency or institution of higher education to adopt, amend, or repeal an administrative rule. You may use this form to submit your request.
- Other State Historic Preservation Offices This is a link to other State Historic Preservation Offices websites.