Project Review - Archaeology
Compliance with archaeological resources requires the hiring of a professional archaeologist who meet the federal standards of the Secretary of the Interior and State Law. This individual(s) will handle the formal consultation with DAHP. The department has developed a set of guidelines (Washington State Standards for Cultural Resource Reporting - see below for link) which outlines how to conduct the archaeological survey and inventory process. The guide is intended to explain survey standards and expectations and provides direction for professionals preparing and submitting Archaeology Site Inventory Forms and the survey reports that accompany them. Be aware that these guidelines do not set or interpret any policies, regulations, or permit requirements of any other public agency. For survey projects tied to federal, state, or local laws, these guidelines provide only technical information about the survey and inventory process and completion of related reports.
For specific information about various Federal and State programs and how to comply with their regulations relating to historic preservation see left column.
What to send to the SHPO:
- A CR Report Cover Sheet
- A letter and map (showing project area) asking for the SHPO to concur with the Area of Potential Effect (APE) for the project/undertaking.
- A letter asking for the SHPO to concur with the federal agency's determinations of Eligibility and/or Effect. The agency should make its own determinations and not ask the SHPO to make the initial evaluation.
- A Cultural Resource Survey Report
- A copy of the CR Report saved as a PDF
- Appropriate Archaeological Site Forms
- National Register forms used for Determination of Eligibility of Archaeological sites (as needed)
- Archaeological Excavation Permit Application Cover Sheet
- Archaeology Site Form - Now on Wisaard!
- Traditional Cultural Property Inventory Template - Now on Wisaard!
- Submerged Historic Archaeological Resource Registration Form
- Cultural Resource Report Cover Sheet (Note that all reports need to be submitted as PDF's)
Determination of Eligibility
- WA State Standards for Cultural Resource Reporting - UPDATED 8/15/2018
- NCSHPO Technology as Mitigation Memo
- A Field Guide To Washington State Archaeology
- Centennial Accord Plan
- ACHP Guidance on Tribal Consultation by Federal Agencies