Window Preservation Guidance
The following are links to a variety of documents and websites will help you to solve the mysteries and myths regarding historic wood window retention vs. replacement, window rehabilitation and window upgrades .
Maintenance and Preservation
- Traditional Windows: their care, repair and upgrading: Guidance and best practices from English Heritage.
- Window Preservation Standards Collaborative: Book for purchase with guidance compiled by skilled craftsmen.
- Window Repair & Weatherization Guidebook - Bosco-Milligan Foundation
- Short Guide for Homeowners: Sash & Case Windows - Historic Scotland
- Weather Stripping 101: Learning How to Install Weatherstripping on your Windows and Doors.
- Saving Sash Windows: Restoring your home's original sash windows is easier than it seems.
- Sash Window Clinic: Maintaining the mechanics of double-hung windows.
- Seven Ways to Weatherize: Quick guide on how to weatherize your home for the long winter months.
- Getting the Lead out of Windows? How to deal with lead paint issues on old windows.
- Saving old Windows: Reputty, reglaze, repaint and repair guide.
- Preservation Tech Note 9: Interior Storm Windows: Magnetic Seal Information about interior storm window as an option.
- Preservation Tech Note 10: Temporary Window Vents in Unoccupied Historic Buildings How to preserve your options while awaiting a vacant buildings restoration.
- Preservation Tech Note 20: Aluminum Replacement Windows for Steel Projecting Units with True Divided Lights and Matching Profiles How to find solutions for preserving or replacing steel windows.
- Is Stained Glass Protective Glazing Necessary? Overview on the do's and don't's of stain glass preservation.
Window Muntin Identification Guide Quick guide to muntin profiles from the 1740s to the 1930s.
Repair or Replace
- Attachments Energy Rating Council (AERC) Report for creating an energy efficiency rating system for window attachments.
- Are Historic Windows Energy Efficient? The Craftsman Blog
- NTHP Ten on Tuesday: Retrofitting Historic Windows. 10 things you should know about repairing and reusing historic windows.
- The Right Thing. What are the facts and myths of the replacement vs. restore historic windows debate.
- Wood Windows: Repair or Replace? An illustrated real-world case study on the pros and cons of window replacement.
- Window Restoration: Always an Option The benefits and economies of restoring pre 1940 windows.
- Historic Wood Windows - A tip sheet from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- The Effects of Energy Efficiency Treatments on Historic Windows - Guide to window repair and restoration by the Center for Resource Conservation.
- 13 Things you Should Know about Retrofitting HIstoric Windows - A Guide to Going Green.
- Windows: Energy Efficiency - Facts & Myths - by Shanon Peterson Wasielewski
- Thermal Performance of Traditional Windows and Low-Cost Energy-Saving Retrofits
- Saving Energy in Historic Buildings: Balancing Efficiency and Value
- What Replacement Windows Can't Replace: The Real Cost of Removing Historic Windows
- Embracing Energy Efficiency
- The Truth About Windows and Storm Windows too!
- Double Hung Window Restoration - Manufactor Guide
- Steel Window Repair guidance from the City of Phoenix